"I believe in the love of God, it is an orphan's wildest dream, it is a Narrow Little Road, it is an ever widening desert stream" ~ Red Mountain hymn

"This narrow little road may be filled with both abundant joy and humiliating sorrow; surely, even its promised Divine acceptance cannot assure it's travelers absense of profound rejection. Indeed, this narrow road may be filled with a great many things, but the one thing it truly lacks is regret!" ~Debbie Sue



Saturday, August 27, 2011

beyond your best part 2

When I say busy, I mean busy... we all get caught up right?

In my first series blog writing I said that I would be sharing these truths from this book over the next six weeks, but I also said that we are all so bombarded with the work that is before us that it is hard to invest in learning and education... well, let's just say that I'm right there with ya folks and this adventure may be either a few months or a year to get through this amazing book. Either way, I hope that you enjoy the truths that surface in the midst of pursuing new life together.

I promised that I would explain more of the difference between the success and character ladder this time around, so here is a brief description:

Our world is keen on pursuing whatever opportunity gets things done, at whatever cost, that makes you look good and brings maximum affirmation and acceptance; that my friends is the success ladder. We can so easily become seduced to ignore the immanent submerged dangers until they irrevocably rip out the bottom of our well-built plans. If you are wondering what a few WARNING SIGNS might look like, here's just a few:

Needing to impress others
Strained relationships
A nagging sense of failure
Becoming defensive at slightest criticism
Hiding your skills while fearing discovery of your true self
Lacking the will and strength to trust God wholeheartedly

These belief systems leave us with a consistent feeling that we are making good time but have no idea where we are going...

Many of us set sail, indending to accomplish something significant, only to find that we have unknowingly drifted off course. We are undoubtedly aware that change seems urgent, but we never feel any closer to where we need to go. In overwhelmed desperation we begin to try anything and everything to get back on the "right path;" whether it be a new relationship, a different job, a better house, a baby, a nicer climate, stronger will-power, or the latest self-help program- all become, in turn, just one more heartbreaking, dry attempt at a prodigal child finding their way home.

This book offers an amazing opportunity to climb a completely different kind of ladder... yes, you will be a lot higher up which means that there will be a lot more risk involved, but I can truly promise that the risk will be worth it!

Mostly because you will find yourself no longer facing the risks and the steep climb alone, but rather you will be learning- alongside others- how to live within safe environments of trust. These types of environments are meant to envelop us and awaken our hearts; to nurture all the well-designed plans that God has for us and draw in a community that integrates our hearts and hands to nourish our relationships with God and others.

This is definitely "life work" my friends. I believe that wherever this climate exists, there is both safety and protection guided by submission and reverence for Christ and for one another. Productivity and creativity can blossom- which is really the deepest longing in my heart- especially for me with JAMPACT Studios. Trust will flourish and character will mature. Let Christ be lifted up!

Trust me friends; life can be transformed from self-promotion and protection to character and life-giving vulnerability. I wish I was there but I'm not. Together, we will begin to experience the kind of character that transforms our lowly bodies and empowers our capacities while truly keeping them in check. We will become people of character rather than just people of worldly success.

I invite you to explore these principles my friends; not just in theory but in action.

I believe that we must all reckon with character in the end, for it strikes the last blow in any battle!

1 comment: