"I believe in the love of God, it is an orphan's wildest dream, it is a Narrow Little Road, it is an ever widening desert stream" ~ Red Mountain hymn

"This narrow little road may be filled with both abundant joy and humiliating sorrow; surely, even its promised Divine acceptance cannot assure it's travelers absense of profound rejection. Indeed, this narrow road may be filled with a great many things, but the one thing it truly lacks is regret!" ~Debbie Sue



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

beyond your best 1

I just started reading this amazing book given to me by some dear friends Dr. Paul and Rebecka in Liberia called "Beyond your best."

So far its been rocking my world just challenging me to re-look at the current way that I am doing life and how I measure success. This incredibly healing book has begun shaping and motivating me in certain directions when it comes to life, work, school, and relationships.

The arching premise is that if you take the "y" out of "your success" you begin to build an incredible future while climbing the "character ladder" rather than the "capacity ladder."

I will explain more in depth the differences between the two in my writings over the next 6 weeks. I would certainly highly recommend the book to anyone but I know that so many of us feel so swamped that we believe that we can't even set aside time to encourage, inspire, and challenge our hearts through reading or education (even if self-taught). Well that thoght process is toxic friends and in reality, no one is responsible to motivate our behinds or stir up our souls.

So I've been thinking if I could just take little notes as I go and encourage/challenge you with the gems that I have personally found, it might draw you in or at least tilt your thought processes enough in the midst of the daily grind that you just may find yourself willingly stirring yourself.

This whole book is really about making things not necessarily easier, but simpler for sure.

Starts with some words spoken in Scripture that Jesus makes very clear; "unless you become like small children, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

So lets start by thinking about the simple and elemental ways of a child. Children generally understand the important things- the profound things in life. They don't spend their days picking truth or love apart like pulling the pedals off a daisy until the beauty is gone or at least unrecognizable. They simply accept truth and love with their hearts when they trust those who are sharing it with them.

So I guess we have to deal with the question "Do you legitimately trust Jesus?" to move forward in an open and honest direction with the topic.

Once we deal with the realities of what a life of trust looks like we can begin to ask oursleves some harder questions like....Will practicing the principles I learn through this journey of climbing the character ladder lead me to deeper, more loving and meaningful relationships? Will applying these ideas inspire vision and hope in myself and those I influence? Will wearing the lenses of trust, truth and hope help me to see who I really am and help me become all that God intends me to be?

Here's a start...

"If we take care of our character then our reputation will take care of itself"

No comments:

Post a Comment