"I believe in the love of God, it is an orphan's wildest dream, it is a Narrow Little Road, it is an ever widening desert stream" ~ Red Mountain hymn

"This narrow little road may be filled with both abundant joy and humiliating sorrow; surely, even its promised Divine acceptance cannot assure it's travelers absense of profound rejection. Indeed, this narrow road may be filled with a great many things, but the one thing it truly lacks is regret!" ~Debbie Sue



Monday, July 4, 2011

If it's not love, tell me now

These last couple weeks, even months, so many thoughts and dreams have been pouring into my mind, even faster than I know what to do with. I feel a passion, a yearning in the depths of my being to live for God, to do something great for His kingdom with the gifts and talents that I've been given. However, even though I am often overwhelmed by this unbelievable joy and passion, I also continue to struggle as I feel stuck, confused, and worried about certain areas of my life.

It can feel so lonely in moments to have a good majority of my friends and community be married and/or living life with a companion. As I look around me its also a struggle as I see many of my single friends feel like they are not good enough, ready enough, or just not trying hard enough to get "out there in the game" and that's why they are lonely and without companionship and meaningful relationship. At the same time, I continually hear married friends fearfully and bashfully admit that they are married and yet feel incomplete, confused and lonely as well, and they silently bear that deadly confusing burden.

At the heart of these feelings and beliefs, I see an idealistic unreal assumption about love, relationships, and wholeness both in the marriages and the single lives that I walk among. If we are married we dont fully sense this idea of oneness, connection, mutual understandin/ support, and identity in or with our spouse, and for many who are single I hear the same descriptions but about friendships, relationships, dating etc.

Perhaps this idea of what creates those realities in our lives is a little warped... or even perverted entirely.

Why is it that so many of us feel like we are missing out on some BIG love purpose connectedness "thing" in our lives? Why do so many of us feel confused about why we are here, single or married, and what we are meant to be doing with our time, talents, money, resources, relationships, and ultimately our lives?

Are we missing some very core basics to living a fulfilled joyful abundant life that is grounded, balanced, simple and yet extraordinary?

Isn't that what most of us are longing for; it's really anything outside of the manotony of a lifeless, passionless, stuck human existence, right?

But its so much more than that for me. I don't just want to be unstuck; I want to be vibrant, and I want to make a difference in my world. I want to be both cherished in this life and remembered in the next. I want to leave something of value for the generations that I leave behind. I'm sure I'm not the only one desperate for these things, right? Absolutely not. I know I'm not because I've spent days even years worth of my life having conversations about these desires with many of you my dearest friends and family.

So... why ARE we stuck? Why are we lonely, propelled inward staring at an empty abyss, confused about our mission, and looking for something to live for?

Have we just not been told or experienced firsthand some reasonable answers to live purposefully and passionately? I wish I could answer all these questions in a nice little email, but I'm writing this because I believe these are the thoughts and questions of my generation, and they run as deep as the oceans that continually sweep away cities across the world. In the same way, these waves of tolerance and confusion are sweeping away the hearts of my generation and burying them in the ground beneath our fast pace, fast food, no truth, entertainment nation.

So then, what is the hope for my generation; a generation that wants very little to do with institutionalised corprate church/religion, is relating and learning 90% of the time through media and technology, and yet wants to be genuine, passionate, connected to the earth and humanity, and wants to live for a great cause.

The reality is our children and grandchildren will be absolutely lost if my generation doesn't start not only answring these questions, but living out some answers that make sense of all these longings in their hearts.

I don't feel like I can answer them with this generations current ideals of "anything goes (idea of truth)", and relative moralism. It's like I'm going to have to tell my children "Good luck, I hope you find any path that works for you, but I have nothing concrete to offer. Just make sure that you accept everyone and everything, stand for nothing, but make sure you have a few things you oppose." SCARY!

Unless we can all come together and acknowledege one common ground, what will our future kids in generations have in common other than the same stuck, confused, lonely way of survival that most of our world is teaching?

Do we realize that by not teaching anything, we are teaching something BIG, and it's devastating our futures?

Maybe we could start and unite over a simple message, one that all of mankind has been programmed to long for... like perhaps LOVE!

Love yourself, honestly and truly (take care of the one body that you have with honor and respect- think about what you are ingesting both mentally and emotionally). If you can agree on some kind of universal language like LOVE then be about the things that promote it... like justice for the oppressed, encouraging triumphant survival in the midst of terrible circumstances in the context of loving community, enjoying the beauty of the world you live in, and standing unwaveringly for principles and truths that both promote and create love ... and if you can admit that you are indeed a spiritual being then find a way to LOVE and be as intimately acquainted with that which nurtures and forms your spirit as possible (and for me thats my loving God and creator).

Is it possible that we can unite together as a generation and decide that we are at least going to unite by each passing on one thing to those around us no matter what; and that's love!

Here's a few lyrics that came out of me this week through the processing...

I woke up this morning, my eyes burning and my heart pounding aloud
I laid awake last night wondering pondering just what this God's about

Then I went to church this morning, a man called "pastor" stood before the crowd

He posed the same big question and my heart shuttered and these words poured right out

At the end of my life, there's but one thing You require, it is love, if it's not love, tell me now

Oh at the end of my life, yeah there's but one thing You've required and it is love, if it's not love, tell me now
tell me now if it's not love, if it's not love oh tell me now


LOVE truly is the most powerful message. I could care less if it sounds corny. It's not easy, but it's simple. For those of you who claim Christianity it's 4 words: LOVE God, LOVE people. And this is how we know love... feeding the hungry, taking care of the orphan and widow, thinking of others more highly than yourself, and how you love eachother.

Friends, LIVE intentionally, and realize that you have been created with a purpose in mind; that you would LOVE God passionately with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and that you would LOVE the world (your neighbor) with all that God has created you to be.

Cheers to LOVE, cheers to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment