"I believe in the love of God, it is an orphan's wildest dream, it is a Narrow Little Road, it is an ever widening desert stream" ~ Red Mountain hymn

"This narrow little road may be filled with both abundant joy and humiliating sorrow; surely, even its promised Divine acceptance cannot assure it's travelers absense of profound rejection. Indeed, this narrow road may be filled with a great many things, but the one thing it truly lacks is regret!" ~Debbie Sue



Saturday, May 28, 2011

give me sunshine

Well, hopefully this is the beginning of a new era in my blog journey. I haven't been able to write much in the last few months since arriving stateside and healing up from that little malaria hiccup (*note- yes a wee bit of sarcasm).

I'm currently at my lovely friend Mermaid's little place in the wine country. No that's not her real first name (in fact, I don't think she's even too stoked that I still call her that :) but maybe you might remember her name from one of my first posts ever. She lives in Newberg which has the cutest welcome sign...

"Welcome to Newberg- a good place to grow!"

It got me thinking. Not only is that phrase perfect for this season that my lovely friend is embracing, but I'm exploring and accepting it for myself as well. Maybe I'll make my own sign...

"Welcome to Boise- a good place to grow!"

That phrase caught my eye because it poses an assumption and an expectation... doesn't it? Either, if ya plant something it will grow
there, or if ya move there you will grow ( at least that's how I read it ;)

However, the phrase also resounds with a lot of responsibility.

When you move to a place expecting to grow, the assumption is that change is a comin' and we should expect something new- and the new assumption is usually positive (ex: I'm gonna grow and it's gonna be good).

And yet, I just keep thinking that expectation without responsibility leaves us feeling empty and confused.

I mean think about it- most soil can grow at least something, but it doesn't mean you should eat whatever comes up, or that it's healthy for you.

You have to stir up the soil to see what it's really made of, and you have to enrich most soil to expect any type of good produce, and obviously those
seeds you plant have to be good too.

But in an honest moment, most of us don't always take the time to sew good seeds, or get dirty, or labor hard to do that rough stuff that will make the soil and it's fruit REAL good.

We most often just shove some seeds in the ground and then yell at the sky "give me sunshine" and expect good things to grow. I know I've definitely done some of that the last few years.

The truth is, we all expect things from life, from new environments
and opportunities, and from the people who surround us; but we so often
forget that life and relationships are what we make of them- so often
dependent on how we actually invest in and nourish them- not what we expect of them.

Life doesn't just change or grow because you move.

Relationships don't flourish or change because you get more
expectations... if anything, expectations without responsibility or
communiation is no different than taking someone by the hand and then
lovingly asking them to jump off a cliff with you... yeah, never
really ends well!

So with all that said, Boise is next for me, and I'm investing in some good
tools to plant well there :) I'm making some intentional moves toward growth and relationship, and I'm hoping that from all across the world you will join me on this adventure of planting on purpose...

Just some thoughts from the wine country!

No comments:

Post a Comment