"I believe in the love of God, it is an orphan's wildest dream, it is a Narrow Little Road, it is an ever widening desert stream" ~ Red Mountain hymn

"This narrow little road may be filled with both abundant joy and humiliating sorrow; surely, even its promised Divine acceptance cannot assure it's travelers absense of profound rejection. Indeed, this narrow road may be filled with a great many things, but the one thing it truly lacks is regret!" ~Debbie Sue



Monday, March 14, 2011

sharing and declaring

Hi, my name is Debbie Young and I'm a grateful believer in Jesus Christ!

I'm currently recovering from pride, lying, self-reliance, cheating, judging others, stealing, over indulging, and worrying (and probably many other things that didn't flow out of my mouth immediately).

It catches us a little off guard when people share the real deal, right?

And yet at the same time, it's suprisingly refreshing to hear people be so honest about both the realities of their struggles and sinful hearts as well as the reality of the redeeming love that is slowly ridding them of all that they are not proud of and replacing it with a deep love for Christ and for people.

Well this is the courageous life that people are living all across the globe; particularly through a program called Celebrate Recovery. I'm sure there are innumerable amounts of churches containing programs that are overflowing with “grateful believers” but I have found few as physically powerful and emotionally and spiritually life-changing as CR.  http://www.facebook.com/#!/celebraterecovery

Anyway, just a little shout out to God's work through this program throughout the world!

However, there is still more to SHOUT today...

this morning I woke up to news that an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit Japan, and 59 tsunamis are being traced as the world watches to see where the aftershocks might hit next. Then I was reminded about the riots and massive amounts of homicides going on in Libya and Egypt. Then I started thinking about the 70,000+ refugees that have taken up indefinite residence in the land of Liberia (I am currently living in); refugees that have come to escape the riots and obvious movements toward war in Ivory Coast.

Then I started to pray.

I was reminded of many scriptures where Christ himself declares that this world is coming to an end and that all of the devastations we see happening around us are merely the labor pains inducing serious warning not to be ignored.

The current global state of crises as well as the holistic condition of humanity should ignite urgency in our hearts; if it doesn’t, we are more than likely either in a self-imposed position of denial or ignorance.

NEWSFLASH: I’m not kidding you when I tell you that just 10 seconds ago my co-worker Matt walked into our office declaring an emergency that one of our staff’s entire village was just destroyed by fire (and there only remaining belongings can fit under a towel).

All of these painful realities should indeed compel us to pray, and even more so move our feet to act!

But my friends, if we are those who belong to Christ, then it shouldn't cause us to worry or to fear. If you find yourself worried or deeply troubled by all that is going on in the world, the Bible has much to say about a HOPE that is far greater than all these devastations; and if I believe the Scriptures to be true then I would be undeniably wretched to keep my mouth shut about the only truth and hope that I know.

Today I leave to travel 5 hours into the bush of Liberia for my last visit before I head back to the States. In the last week or so, there have been two evangelistic life festivals happening in rural parts of this nation. Over 5,000 people have attended, and hundreds of people have found new life in Christ. However, though it is "DRY" season here, the rains and winds have picked up heavily in the last week (in fact, one night already had to be cancelled because it was literally impossible to keep the festival going).

We are at war my people! And it's a much greater war then what we are watching on tv. Now is not a time to be swallowed up in worry and fear, or any of the things that we can't control.

The one thing we can control is the daily responses of our own hearts to the truth and realities we are being faced with everyday, especially the reality that our life here on earth is short and we only live it once!

No comments:

Post a Comment