"I believe in the love of God, it is an orphan's wildest dream, it is a Narrow Little Road, it is an ever widening desert stream" ~ Red Mountain hymn

"This narrow little road may be filled with both abundant joy and humiliating sorrow; surely, even its promised Divine acceptance cannot assure it's travelers absense of profound rejection. Indeed, this narrow road may be filled with a great many things, but the one thing it truly lacks is regret!" ~Debbie Sue



Saturday, February 19, 2011

FLASH: a new year

Written on 1/3/2011

I'm sure I'm not the only person looking through my journal for the year, pictures and letters that I've received from others, little momentos reminding me of all the places I've been, the people I've seen and the lives that have touched me in a special way.

At the beginning of each new year we all have certain traditions. Some
of us make lists about what we will do better. Others of us get
overwhelmed by the responsibilities that the new year ahead promises
to bring.

Some of us look back over the year and feel thankful for all the beauty, the events, the people, and the trials shaped the year and we think about the changes that we want to bring into the next year.

For me, I have a tradition that started my second year in college. Every year around this time, I write down every big event that marked the seasons for me. After I've done that I sit down and carefully fill in as many details as I can regarding the people and specific moments that profoundly affected my life. Then I write down the person I was at the start of that year and all changes I've seen God bring in and through my life.

After I've intentionally thought through the past year, and thanked god for each and every blessing, I am left with one question that I ask regarding the next year.

Papa in Heaven, who do you want me to be at the end of this year?

Yes I might make a list or write down goals that I hope to accomplish,
but I focus primarily on what type of woman do I hope to be when the
year ends.

Our goals might change, events happen we have no control over, responsibility never lessens with time... so I ask you, at the end of this year, what do you want to be true about the type of person you are? What growth in your character, in what specific areas, do you plan to see change.

Change never happens accidentally, and it's a waste of our lives to walk through a year just letting life happen to us.

I'm praying with everything in me, and making daily choices to be a more honest and giving person who is faithful to love and serve with a steadfast heart. That's the woman I want to be. I want to know Jesus
in a deeper way by pursuing Him more intentionally on a daily basis. I
want to choose to be thankful in all circumstances, to wake up with a
joyful heart that chooses to cling to what is good. I want to know
that through every trial of the year 2011, I have stood as a woman who
is steadfast in hope, patient in tribulation and constant in prayer.

I pray that each of you sense the deep deep love of Jesus for those
who trust Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment